We always try to get things right first time, but where we can’t, this article will get you up and running again with our app for Android phones. If you just want to find out about the app, click here.
How do I update my Android OS?
It’s always a good idea to have a recent version of Android installed, and our app requires version 4.1 or above. On most Android phones, you can upgrade by going to the Settings app, choosing ‘About Device’ and then ‘Software Update’ (or similar). You’ll then be able to check for an update. Some phones might require you to create an account or connect to Wi-Fi at this stage.
If your phone doesn’t have a software update option, you might need to plug it into your computer and update that way. Your device manufacturer will have all the details.
How do I update the TalkTalk TV Store app?
You’ll know there are updates available for apps on your phone when the Play Store shows available updates in the ‘My Apps’ section. To check if there’s an update for TalkTalk TV Store, just tap the Play Store icon on your home screen, then choose ‘My Apps’ from the menu. You’ll see a list of everything you can update. If you’ve got auto-update turned on, your app might update itself.
Why is some content I purchased saying 'Available soon'?
Oops. Sorry to hear this. If your new purchase says ‘Available Soon’, we need to make a change at our end. Don’t worry – simply get in touch with us right away and we’ll fix it for you so you can keep watching.
Why can't I install the TalkTalk TV Store app?
It should be really easy to find us, but you won’t be able to download our TalkTalk TV Store app if your device isn’t compatible. Some phones aren’t compatible so you won’t be able to download the app to them.
You’ll also need to make sure your phone is running Android version 4.1 or higher, which doesn’t support some of the very first Android phones. Plus, you’ll need the Google Play Store on your device – we can’t support phones that don’t have this, like the Amazon Fire Phone.
Why does my phone say it's not compatible after I've installed the app?
Some phones don’t support playback of Widevine-protected content, which is necessary to enjoy your videos on the go. Sorry, but while you’ll be able to browse and buy content on the go using our mobile optimised website, you’ll need to watch it on another device.
Why can’t I watch TalkTalk TV Store on my phone running Android Lollipop?
Google have switched on an experimental video player for a small number of their Android customers running Android Lollipop on phones. Unfortunately, the player doesn’t work with many online video streaming services, including TalkTalk TV Store, 4oD and other popular streaming websites.
The good news is that it’s possible to turn off the experimental feature and return to the previous, more reliable player, whilst Google work to fix the issues in the new player – it’s a little bit fiddly, but shouldn’t take more than two or three minutes, and once you’ve fixed the issue, you’ll be able to watch movies on your phone again straight away.
To resolve the problem, we’ll need to go to a section of your phone that’s normally hidden called ‘Developer options’. We’d recommend that you don’t change any of the other settings in this section of the phone.
The screenshots below are from a tablet, but the steps on your phone are exactly the same.
- Open your settings application.
- Scroll down, and check to see if you’ve got a menu that says ‘Developer options’ already. If you have, you can skip to step six.
- If not, find ‘About phone’, and give it a tap.
- Scroll to the bottom of the menu and tap on the ‘Build number’ section – you’ll need to keep tapping several times. After the first few taps, your phone will display a count down.
- Once you’ve tapped seven times, you’ll get a message stating ‘You are now a developer!’ At this stage, you can press the back arrow in the top left corner of the screen.
- Next, you’ll need to locate and tap into the ‘Developer options’ menu. It should be in the System section near the bottom of the menu.
- If you haven’t already, turn on Developer options using the slider.
- You can choose ‘Ok’ when asked to confirm your decision. We’re only going to turn off the experimental video player, so everything else should continue to work as normal. We recommend you don't change anything else.
- Scroll down to the Media section and find the ‘Use NuPlayer (experimental)’ option – it’ll be ticked at the moment, and you should un-tick it.
- Hold down the power button and turn your phone off, then on again.
You’ll now be able to continue enjoying movies and TV shows on your phone. Thank you for taking the time to make these changes, and enjoy the show!
Why can’t I watch TalkTalk TV Store on my HTC One M8 running Android Lollipop?
We're aware of an issue impacting a small number of customers who've upgraded their HTC One M8 to Android Lollipop and are now unable to enjoy content on their device. This issue appears to be specific to some firmware versions of this HTC handset, and we believe the issue may be caused by a defect at operating system level.
HTC have now resolved this issue, which also impacted customers using Google Play Movies and TV. To resolve the problem, you'll need to click here and install a new Operating System with your phone. We're not able to assist customers with OS upgrades.