With our app for Windows 8 tablets and computers, you can watch anywhere with Wi-Fi, whether you want to enjoy the Fantastic Four at the fair, Arrow at the arcade or Girls at the gallery. Just download and install the app, sign in and you’re ready to enjoy all your favourite movies and TV shows! We’ll assume you’ve connected the tablet to Wi-Fi, and upgraded to Windows 8.1, before reading this.
Just so you know, this article is all about getting going and using the app. If you’re having any trouble, take a look at this article instead and we’ll get everything sorted.
How do I get started?
You’ll need at least Windows 8 (though ideally 8.1) to enjoy our app. You’ll also need a Microsoft ID to download the blinkbox app from the Windows Store.
All up to date? Great. Now just:
- Download the blinkbox Movies app by searching for ‘blinkbox’ on the Windows Store. You’ll need a Microsoft ID to do this, and you’re looking for the blinkbox app.
- When you open the app for the first time, you’ll probably want to sign in using your blinkbox account. To do this, scroll all the way to the right, tap the ‘Sign in’ button, and enter your email address and password. If you don’t have one, you’ll be able to sign up by pressing the handy button.
- Once you’re signed in, we’ll add access to your existing content to the main page.
How do I find and purchase movies and TV shows?
It’s really easy. We’ll show you some of our latest and greatest stuff right on the main page, but you can also browse or search for anything in our library.
- Open the charms bar on the right hand side of the screen, by swiping inwards or moving your mouse to the top or bottom left corner, and you’ll see a search button. Give it a tap.
- If your computer is set to search everywhere, click the dropdown and choose ‘blinkbox’ instead, so you’ll only see our content.
- Then, just start typing what you’re looking for (you can search by title, actor or – if you’re feeling particularly clever – director). We’ll show you results as you’re typing.
- Once you’ve found something you fancy, just tap into it. Here, you’ll see all the different purchase options (or the episodes if it’s a TV show). For movies, there’s also a synopsis and other useful information so you can make sure you’re purchasing the right thing – scroll to the right to see it.
- Once you’ve made your choice, you’ll be taken to the confirm purchase screen, where you can use a saved card or add a new one, and add a voucher if you’ve got one. Once you’ve paid, you’ll be able to press the play button and start watching immediately.
- By choosing ‘Movies’ or ‘TV’ from the main screen, you’ll be able to start exploring our library. Use the drop down menus to switch between our bestselling, top rated or latest content, or browse by genre if you prefer.
- Once you’ve found something you fancy, just tap into it. Here, you’ll see all the different purchase options (or the episodes if it’s a TV show) and useful information before you make your purchase. Just choose the option that’s right for you.
- You’ll then get to the confirm purchase screen, where you can use a saved card or add a new one, and add a voucher if you’ve got one. Once you’ve paid, you’ll be able to press the play button and start watching immediately.
How do I watch movies and TV?
From the main screen, just scroll to the right, and you’ll see sections called ‘My movies’ and ‘My TV shows’. Here, you’ll see your most recently purchased movies and TV shows ready to watch on the go.
Got a lot of movies and TV shows? Just press the ‘My movies’ or ‘My TV shows’ header and you’ll be able to see everything. You can order it by purchase date, or alphabetically, if you prefer.
If you’ve chosen a TV show, we’ll take you to a page where you can decide which episode you’d like to watch first. Scroll up and down to see all of your episodes, and choose the series you’d like from the drop down menu.
How do I control the player?
Once you’re watching a movie or TV show, it’s really easy to control the player. If you can’t see the controls, just tap the screen. You can move through the content by dragging the white dot at the bottom of the screen and play and pause by pressing the button in the middle.
In the top left corner, you can remind yourself of what you’re watching and to leave the player, just press the back arrow button in the top left.
Where’s my watch later list?
From the main screen, just scroll to the right, and you’ll see sections called Saved movies and Saved TV. There you’ll find you’ve told us you might want to watch another time.
Just tap the items to find out more, and purchase them, if you’d like. You can also remove the content from your saved items on the same screen, just tap the ‘Saved’ button.
You can add new items to the watch later list once you’ve found something you’re interested in. Just tap the picture of a clock. We’ll add the movie or TV show to your list straightaway.
How do I setup parental controls?
If you'd like, you can setup parental controls in our Windows 8 application. It's worth noting that these only affect the Windows 8 app, so any parental controls you setup won't affect our website or any of the other devices that we offer.
- From the charms bar, choose 'Settings' and then 'Parental Controls'.
- Enter a PIN and choose an age rating limit from the drop down menu.
- That's it! Content will now require your PIN if it's above your chosen age rating.